Knee effusion, which is also known as fluid in the knee or water in the knee, happens when there is an excess fluid accumulation around or in the knee joints. The primary causes of this problem include arthritis, obesity, ligament injuries, and an unexpected accident after which the individual’s body naturally reacts to it by surrounding the knees with a defensive fluid. This fluid can actually swelling and pain. However, there are right remedies to treat them.
Women are more vulnerable to knee pain as compared to men. Pain can originate in any of the bony structures, especially in the knee joint, the knee cap or the ligaments or cartilage. The pain can either be in the part of the knee or the whole knee, and the severity of the pain varies from a minor ache to severe and disabling pain. Other causes are fractures, ligament injuries, meniscus injuries, dislocation of the knee joint and other chronic ailments.
10 Natural Remedies For Fluid In The Knee
There are many home remedies to get rid of the fluid in the knee. Let’s learn how.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar has an alkalizing effect and helps to dissolve the toxins, and the mineral builds up within the knee joint. It also helps in restoring lubricants and promotes mobility.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 2 cups of filtered water.
- Drink this mixture throughout the day.
- Alternatively, 2 cups of apple cider vinegar can be added to a bathtub of hot water.
- Soak your affected knee in the water for about 30 minutes.
Repeat this process daily once. One part of Apple cider vinegar can be mixed with one part of olive oil. This mixture can be massaged on the affected area once or twice a day to get relief.
2. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
The main compound in extra virgin olive oil called oleocanthal inhibits inflammatory enzymes such as COX-1 and COX -2 which is similar to ibuprofen. One-half of the tablespoon of the virgin oil equals to 200 mg of ibuprofen and is thus very good for the fluid on the knee treatment, but heat destroys this oleocanthal, so it is advised to use extra virgin olive oil.
- Rub a bit of the oil onto your sore joints gently.
- You can also consume it directly by using it as a cooking medium or in your salads etc
3. Black Strap Molasses Drink
Black Strap Molasses is one of the besy ways to get rid of fluid in the knee. It is high in minerals like calcium, potassium, and magnesium. It is a nutrient lacking refined sugars. To try this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Heat one cup of fresh water and stir a tablespoon of black-strap molasses. It is worth to know that sometimes it has a laxative effect.
- You can even have it as a dietary supplement. Bootstrap helps in relieving the pain and is thus good for knee joints.
4. Peppermint & Eucalyptus Oil Blend
Peppermint and eucalyptus don’t have any effect on the water on the knee, but they act as an analgesic as they have pain relieving properties. The cooling sensation produced by them can temporarily override the discomfort you are facing and create a soothing sensation that eases the pain caused by arthritis.
- Blend 5-6 drops of both the oils together and then mix 1-2 tablespoon of carrier oil such as almond oil or olive oil so that the essential oils get diluted and do not cause irritation to the skin.
- Store this solution in a glass of water in the dark and run on to your joints preferably twice or thrice a day. Use this mixture of oils for about 2-3 months till the pain starts to ease and you start getting relief.
This citrus fruit is also a beneficial remedy for knee pain as the citric acid found in the lemon works as a solvent for uric acid crystals which is the cause of some arthritis.
- Cut lemons into small pieces and tie them in a cotton cloth and dip them into the sesame oil. Place this cloth on the affected knee for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat this process twice daily until the pain is gone completely. Drinking a lot of lemon juice diluted in glass of water early in the morning with an empty stomach also relieves you from the pain.
6. Ice Cubes
The cool ice is extremely helpful for the water on the knee treatment. The ice cubes can be used on a daily basis to get relief. Rub the ice cubes on the affected area daily for a long duration to get relief from the pain. If you see inflammation, then start this treatment quickly to prevent it from bulging.
- Put some ice cubes in a handkerchief and place them on the affected area for about 20-30 minutes.
- Repeat the process within four hours, and you will be able to see the difference.
7. Warm Bath
One of the home remedies for fluid on the knee is taking a warm water bath. A warm water bath relaxes your body and soothes the knee pain. It also minimizes the discomfort by relaxing the muscles.
- Place a hot water bag on your knees or wrap a warm moist towel on your knees for about 15-20 minutes.
- Repeat this process twice or thrice a day, and the results will soon start to appear.
8. Keep Yourself Hydrated
Drinking 7-8 glasses of water is probably the easiest and effective home remedy. This will not only keep your body hydrated but will dissolve the uric acid crystals present in your body and will thus relieve the knee joint paint. Water also helps in flushing out the toxins. You will feel the difference in just a few days.
9. Juniper Berry Tea
- Boil a cup of water and add 1 tablespoon of dried juniper berry tea in the mug.
- Pour the hot water over the berries and let them sit for 20 minutes before straining.
- You can add honey for taste. Drink this cup of mixture daily and get relief from the pain.
10. Massage The Knees
Massaging the knees with oil daily helps to reduce the pain and inflammation and is an effective remedy for knee joint pain.
For functioning knees, follow these foods and keep yourself healthy.